The reader's Digest has a
column called "The Most Unforgettable Character I Know."
When I think of this title, Vata comes to mind. When she was a little
girl, everyone wanted to adopt her. The teachers adored her. I visited a Rest
Home on one of my visits to La. One of our old teachers was a patient.
Billie and I introduced ourselves and she knew our family and all of a sudden
she said, "What about Lou Vata?" Vata could sew and make
clothes without a sewing machine. She could crochet and knit and could even
play the piano. A lady gave her a piano once and she taught herself how to
play. I remember once when daddy
whipped us and when he got to Vata, she fell out and played dead. He
called mama and stopped hitting her. She made the mistake of telling someone
and it got back to Daddy. Well the next whipping, he told her to play dead. She
said, "I am not dead, Daddy". One Christmas, she was bragging about there
being no Santa Claus. Fred Hay heard her and decided to play Santa. He covered
up in a sheet and came to our house and went directly to her side of the bed.
He asked if she had been a good little girl and she started to cry and said
"Yassuh". We recognized his voice but she was really not sure.
He made sure that she believed in Santa and then he pulled his sheet off.
He loved to tell us scary tales and make us freak out. One story was that
something slapped him in the dark and a white horse lit up in the road in front
of him. He once told Vata that if she rubbed under her arms, she could walk up
and pull down a nest full of wasps and they would not sting her. She was
a child, mind you and had no under arm odor. She did it and she and the wasps
had a time. Oh what a time. Once I was lying in the back of Aunt Theo's
wagon reading. Vata came and got into the wagon and was talking to me, but I
was not paying attention to her. She asked if I believe she would walk out on
the tongue of the wagon between the mules. I said, “No”. She did it and the
next thing I knew the mules were literally flying with the wagon behind
them. Vata fell under the mules and one stepped on her and the wagon ran over
her and I was bouncing in the bed of the wagon until I fell out. The animals
were spooked because she walked out on the tongue and touched their ears. The
mules continued until they tore the fence down and overturned the wagon.
Well Mama whipped me because I said I did not believe it and I was older and
should have stopped her. That was the only time that daddy stepped in and said, "That's enough, Pearlena". She was so scared that she was going
overboard with the whipping. She did not like anyone to hit her kids. We rarely
got dessert and on a Sunday when Chris came to visit, Mama made a blackberry
cobbler. She put my cobbler in the pantry so no one would eat it. Well, Vata
knew that I was not going to eat with my boyfriend being there. She came into
the living room and asked if she could have my pie. Now what was I going
to say with my first boyfriend sitting next to me? She avoided my face
because she knew I would give her a sign not to eat my pie. I said
OK. She ate my pie. She kept a watch out and when Chris left, she took off
because she knew I was coming for her. I could not catch her. She was an
unforgettable character. Until Next Month--I may not be where I wanted to go, but I am convinced that I am where I am suppose to be. JeanA family newsletter done for the purpose of keeping in touch, notifying members of important family dates and organizing events. “How good and pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!" Psalms 133:1
Daily Word
Friday, June 1, 2012
As I Remember It!
The reader's Digest has a
column called "The Most Unforgettable Character I Know."
When I think of this title, Vata comes to mind. When she was a little
girl, everyone wanted to adopt her. The teachers adored her. I visited a Rest
Home on one of my visits to La. One of our old teachers was a patient.
Billie and I introduced ourselves and she knew our family and all of a sudden
she said, "What about Lou Vata?" Vata could sew and make
clothes without a sewing machine. She could crochet and knit and could even
play the piano. A lady gave her a piano once and she taught herself how to
play. I remember once when daddy
whipped us and when he got to Vata, she fell out and played dead. He
called mama and stopped hitting her. She made the mistake of telling someone
and it got back to Daddy. Well the next whipping, he told her to play dead. She
said, "I am not dead, Daddy". One Christmas, she was bragging about there
being no Santa Claus. Fred Hay heard her and decided to play Santa. He covered
up in a sheet and came to our house and went directly to her side of the bed.
He asked if she had been a good little girl and she started to cry and said
"Yassuh". We recognized his voice but she was really not sure.
He made sure that she believed in Santa and then he pulled his sheet off.
He loved to tell us scary tales and make us freak out. One story was that
something slapped him in the dark and a white horse lit up in the road in front
of him. He once told Vata that if she rubbed under her arms, she could walk up
and pull down a nest full of wasps and they would not sting her. She was
a child, mind you and had no under arm odor. She did it and she and the wasps
had a time. Oh what a time. Once I was lying in the back of Aunt Theo's
wagon reading. Vata came and got into the wagon and was talking to me, but I
was not paying attention to her. She asked if I believe she would walk out on
the tongue of the wagon between the mules. I said, “No”. She did it and the
next thing I knew the mules were literally flying with the wagon behind
them. Vata fell under the mules and one stepped on her and the wagon ran over
her and I was bouncing in the bed of the wagon until I fell out. The animals
were spooked because she walked out on the tongue and touched their ears. The
mules continued until they tore the fence down and overturned the wagon.
Well Mama whipped me because I said I did not believe it and I was older and
should have stopped her. That was the only time that daddy stepped in and said, "That's enough, Pearlena". She was so scared that she was going
overboard with the whipping. She did not like anyone to hit her kids. We rarely
got dessert and on a Sunday when Chris came to visit, Mama made a blackberry
cobbler. She put my cobbler in the pantry so no one would eat it. Well, Vata
knew that I was not going to eat with my boyfriend being there. She came into
the living room and asked if she could have my pie. Now what was I going
to say with my first boyfriend sitting next to me? She avoided my face
because she knew I would give her a sign not to eat my pie. I said
OK. She ate my pie. She kept a watch out and when Chris left, she took off
because she knew I was coming for her. I could not catch her. She was an
unforgettable character. Until Next Month--I may not be where I wanted to go, but I am convinced that I am where I am suppose to be. Jean
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Bell Chapel CME!
Info for Phoning in: 1 669 900 6833 Meeting ID: 983 9548 3059 # # Pass Code : 633057 # Link and Code for Zoom Video Access: https://us...
-
As technology advances, so does the Bell Gram. We started it in 1992 on a Brother typewriter. It was necessary to spend lots of time at Kink...
2 comments:
Wow - this was soooo funny and informative. This was great! Thanks for sharing! Keep them coming! I look forward to next month. LOL
Sounds about right! I enjoyed it, haha. - Nick
Post a Comment