Daily Word

Thursday, March 1, 2012

As I Remember It!


Names are interesting.  Even animals recognize their names. I was amazed when I visited Hispanic homes and they spoke to the animals in Spanish and they understood. Nicknames are usually familiar or humorous, but sometimes pointed or cruel names are given to a person as a supposedly appropriate replacement for or addition to the proper name.  Some names are interchangeable like Willie is called Bill, Robert is called Bob, Margaret is called Peggy and Henry is called Hank. These are some nicknames that I remember. I was called “G-Bird” or G], Mattie {Coachwhip], Vata [Butterfly], Joe Cotry [Popcorn or Pete], Dorothy [Farrow}, Melinda [Sissy], Mary Helen [Billie], Wallace [Rabbit],  Aunt Theo [Coot], Augusta James [Big Baby], Virginia Meadows [Chutter],  O.W. [Peck],  Ola Mae [Sue],  Bernice [Bummie], Geneva [Cheetie], Robert  Jr. [Joe], James Terry [Po Boy], Tommie Bell III [Naughty Boy],  Joseph [Brut], Allen [Marcus],  Demetrius Bell [Meechie], Excell Brown [Straw], Exzetta [Feet],  Beatrice  {Nan], Clinton  {Boog], George  Jr [Bill Boy], Esther Mae [Puddin],  Lawrence[ Gobber],  Alfred [Biscuit Head], Gavin [Pork Chop], Lennon Meadows [Rough], Ferdinand Bell [Son], Doris Tean [Sister],  Florine [Child], Henry Tell [Nick], Uncle Plummer [Trot], Pongee [Pelo], Aunt Eleze [Nigger], Lonnie Jr [Bone], Little Plummer [Sugar Boo], Louis [Buster], Aunt Willie [Bunch], Aunt Mary [Chippie], Benson Hay [Boot],  M.T. Thomas [Pap], Arthur Lee Williams [Nonnie], Johnnie Mae [Cry Baby], Ollie [Tang], Doyle Martin [Son], Carlton Pitts [Boobie], Phillip [Throb], Tommie Pitts 3rd [TT], Shedrick Hay [Shack],  John Hunter [Tee], Las Bell [Pig], Arthur Walston, Jr  [Whit],  Parthena Walston [Tutt], Jessie B. Holyfield [Tutt],  Geraldine Randolph [Shugg], Karl Malone [Mailman], Las'  brother,  William Randolph [Black Boy], C.Z. Martin [Dude], Theo Hay [Dutt],  Albin Randolph [Bug], Evelyn Holyfield [Black Gal],  Ezaree Pitts [Red Gal], Velma Holyfield [Punkin], Charisse Bell [Short Stack],  James Bell [Binky],  Carol Jean Autry[ Hootie], Glenidel [Oeypoey], Collina [Rikki], Howard Anderson [Buddy brown], Doris Pitts [Dock], Aunt Pinkie [Sweet], Aunt Vesta [Shankum], Uncle Tom [ Luke], Delbert [Rick or Dozan], Henry [Popsie], Kamasi [Mooky], Henry Hay [Son], Jefferson Holyfield [Pipe], Otis Meadows [Son Tom], Willie Drew [Bannie], Uncle Porter [Shep],  Arlene Gipson [Sweetening], Uncle John Bell [Jelly], Aunt  Flora [Sook], Grandma Alma [Simme]. Can you think of some that I missed? Until Next Month: If you must call someone by another name, make sure it is a nice  one.

1 comment:

BellGram 2026 said...

Jean,
I enjoyed reading about the nicknames you remembered.
Was it Mama who called you G-Bird? I ask because she called me Nay and Nay-Bird. Wallace is the only person besides Mama to call me Nay.
Joseph/Brut is also called Pete, but only by Naught and me.
Alfred/Biscuit Head was also called Bibbin.
Bobie was a nickname. His real name was Albert :).
I had forgot about Willie Drew/Bannie :)
Aunt Ardella was called Aunt Monk.
I thought Otis/Son Tom was interesting when I found out that his dad was named Tom.
Did Daddy call Aunt Zannie, Shank?
Karl Malone was also called Boo Boo and then just Boo.
Patricia Malone is Tree.
Was Uncle Willie T called Buddy??
Dorothy is called Beatty
George Brown, Jr was called Bill Boy.
Jesse Johnson was called Pete.
Was Uncle John called Uncle Bud?

That's all I can think of at the moment.
Rikki

Bell Chapel CME!

  Info for Phoning in: 1 669 900 6833 Meeting ID: 983 9548 3059 # # Pass  Code : 633057 #   Link and Code for Zoom Video Access:  https://us...