Ideas for Managing Depression Over the Holidays
"I hate the holidays. Can't wait till they are over," @miss_rib tells HealthyPlace on Twitter. For many people with a mental health condition, the holidays mean added stress and an increase in depression symptoms. Some of it may be attributed to seasonal affective disorder or winter blues, but running around handling holiday details as well as dealing with relatives or friends you'd rather keep at arms length really can jack up those anxiety and depression symptoms. So what can you do? Here are some suggestions for managing depression over the holidays from our Twitter followers:
- Get lots of sleep. Take your meds :-) That reduces depression during holidays. Ease into events you want to be at! @asherspappy
- Focusing on the things that make you smile regardless of season - finding one thing in each day that brings you joy. @therapylinq
- I try to tune out all the commercial aspects of the holidays and focus on what's important religiously. @timothyhill64
- I isolate hoping that not going to holiday events will lessen the anxiety, depression. It only exacerbates problems. @anita_relax
- @calmmindkitchen: I keep eating foods that nourish my brain and body, as opposed to the traditional unhealthy fare.
And finally this tip for managing depression over the holidays from @michandwalker: Would more sunshine help? We should work from a sunny spot in the Carribean I think :)
What about you? How do you deal with depression around the holidays? We invite you to participate by commenting and sharing your feelings, experiences and knowledge on the HealthyPlace Facebook page.
Related Depression Treatment Information
- Do’s and Dont’s to Avoid Holiday Depression
- Mood Can Be Affected By Weather
- Alcohol Isn’t the Answer for Depression
- Depression Treatment Options
- Does Exercise Really Make a Difference in Reducing Depression?
- How to Change Those Depressing Thoughts (video)
from Healthy Place
No comments:
Post a Comment