Thank God for all of our blessings. Our family back on the East Coast survived the Killer Storm, Sandy. They did not have power for a long time and then the weather turned cold. Good thing, they are acclimated to the cold weather. The gas lines were long and then gas was rationed and they had odd, even days. We had the same back in the 70s when I was doing Home Health Nursing. I can remember getting in line around 4:30 in the morning to get gas before they run out or close the pumps. And the weather was warm here. Billie's surgery was successful and she is doing well. Bozie is now in a Convalescent home in Arcadia, La. It is a secure facility to keep her from wandering off. Beatrice [Nan] has done a good job in caring for her since daddy died. We appreciate all she did. Bozie is now 63 years old and needs more help than Nan can provide. Thanks to Billie for the gift. She was in the midst of having surgery, but she was thinking of my comfort. Sorry to hear of the passing of Pearl Baker [Member of Mattie and Vata's church]. Life is so precious. I was talking to Sissy recently and she had been to a Funeral Home to visit someone. She was so afraid that she ask the Funeral Director to accompany her into the back. It brought back memories of how afraid I am of dead people. I have held people in my arms as they take their last breath and then I am afraid to go back into the room afterwards. I attribute it to my childhood. When I was growing up, there was only one Funeral Home for African Americans in our area. it was called M.S. Pickens Funeral Home in Homer, La. Mr. Pickens did everything alone and actually lived in the back of the Funeral Home. We were afraid of him and made sure that he did not touch us. When our brother Herman Henry died at birth, the ladies in the community came and bathed, dressed him and placed him on a table in an empty room and covered him with a white cloth. He stayed there for several days and I would sneak into the room and look at him. Mr. Pickens came on the day of the funeral, brought a casket and placed him inside. We then went to the Cemetery and had a Graveside service. Maybe this is the source of my fear, plus people in the community talking about ghosts. I guess I fear the unknown. I have enjoyed doing this column for the past year. I did expect more feedback from the younger generation. I am not even sure that they read it. Anyway, I hope that this has provided some information that you otherwise would not have had. I may do a column from time to time but not on a monthly basis. Until Next time: When People show you who they are, believe them the first time. Love to all and Happy Holidays.
A family newsletter done for the purpose of keeping in touch, notifying members of important family dates and organizing events. “How good and pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!" Psalms 133:1
Daily Word
Saturday, December 1, 2012
As I Remember It! November!
Thank God for all of our blessings. Our family back on the East Coast survived the Killer Storm, Sandy. They did not have power for a long time and then the weather turned cold. Good thing, they are acclimated to the cold weather. The gas lines were long and then gas was rationed and they had odd, even days. We had the same back in the 70s when I was doing Home Health Nursing. I can remember getting in line around 4:30 in the morning to get gas before they run out or close the pumps. And the weather was warm here. Billie's surgery was successful and she is doing well. Bozie is now in a Convalescent home in Arcadia, La. It is a secure facility to keep her from wandering off. Beatrice [Nan] has done a good job in caring for her since daddy died. We appreciate all she did. Bozie is now 63 years old and needs more help than Nan can provide. Thanks to Billie for the gift. She was in the midst of having surgery, but she was thinking of my comfort. Sorry to hear of the passing of Pearl Baker [Member of Mattie and Vata's church]. Life is so precious. I was talking to Sissy recently and she had been to a Funeral Home to visit someone. She was so afraid that she ask the Funeral Director to accompany her into the back. It brought back memories of how afraid I am of dead people. I have held people in my arms as they take their last breath and then I am afraid to go back into the room afterwards. I attribute it to my childhood. When I was growing up, there was only one Funeral Home for African Americans in our area. it was called M.S. Pickens Funeral Home in Homer, La. Mr. Pickens did everything alone and actually lived in the back of the Funeral Home. We were afraid of him and made sure that he did not touch us. When our brother Herman Henry died at birth, the ladies in the community came and bathed, dressed him and placed him on a table in an empty room and covered him with a white cloth. He stayed there for several days and I would sneak into the room and look at him. Mr. Pickens came on the day of the funeral, brought a casket and placed him inside. We then went to the Cemetery and had a Graveside service. Maybe this is the source of my fear, plus people in the community talking about ghosts. I guess I fear the unknown. I have enjoyed doing this column for the past year. I did expect more feedback from the younger generation. I am not even sure that they read it. Anyway, I hope that this has provided some information that you otherwise would not have had. I may do a column from time to time but not on a monthly basis. Until Next time: When People show you who they are, believe them the first time. Love to all and Happy Holidays.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Bell Chapel CME!
Info for Phoning in: 1 669 900 6833 Meeting ID: 983 9548 3059 # # Pass Code : 633057 # Link and Code for Zoom Video Access: https://us...
-
As technology advances, so does the Bell Gram. We started it in 1992 on a Brother typewriter. It was necessary to spend lots of time at Kink...
1 comment:
Just wanted to say to Jean how I enjoy reading what she has to say. You can sit back, read and learn and get a little wisdom from what she has to say. Wow can't imagine having a body in the room for days. I didn't know Bozie was 63. When I'm reading and see I'm coming to the end I start reading slow cause it be so good. Pray for John and I while we travel on the 19th to Baton Rouge to be with his family for Christmas, as I will continue to pray for y'all. GOD bless and keep you and yours safe during the holidays and always.
Love you, Sissy
P.S. I tried to reach Vata and Mattie during the storm, I left a message and I hope that they got it. Glad all is well.
Post a Comment